- Hailstorms can be very destructive. And one of the places hail damage often shows up is on your gutters.
- Gutter hail damage is usually covered by homeowners’ insurance, but it’s still a good idea to know how to spot it and what to do about it.
- Some obvious signs that your gutters have been damaged by hail include dents, cracks, or holes in the gutters; missing parts; and paint flaking off.
- The best way to deal with gutter damage is to schedule regular maintenance for your gutters. This includes cleaning them out regularly and ensuring they’re in good shape.
Hail is one of the most destructive types of weather that your home can experience. Large hailstones can easily cause dents and significant damage, especially on your roof gutters, leaving your home vulnerable to water damage.
Damaged Gutters Can Lead to Several Dire Consequences for Your Home!
- Damaged gutters don’t effectively funnel water away from your home, which leads to water seeping into your home through the roof or walls, causing mold and mildew to grow.
- Second, damaged gutters can also cause ice dams to form in the winter, leading to even more water damage.
- Third, damaged gutters are unsightly and can decrease your home’s curb appeal.
- Finally, if left unrepaired, the damage will only worsen over time, and you will eventually require gutter replacement.
If you have hail damage to your gutters, it’s important to have them repaired as soon as possible to avoid these costly problems.
Identifying Hail Damage
Hail damage to your gutters can be difficult to spot, but there are a few telltale signs that can help you identify it.
1. Indentations In the Metal
An obvious sign is dents or indentations in the metal. You may also notice cracks or breaks in the seams of the gutters. These dents and cracks can weaken the drains and cause them to pull away from your home.
2. Gutter Leaks
Suppose you notice water spilling out of the gutters or pooling around the base of your home. In that case, this is a sign that the gutters have been damaged and are no longer functioning properly.
3. Missing Pieces
Another sign of hail damage is missing pieces of the gutter system. This can include downspouts, brackets, or even sections of the gutter itself. If you notice any missing parts, it’s important to replace them as soon as possible to avoid further damage to your home.
4. Paint Flaking Off
Hail can cause the paint to chip or flake off, exposing the bare metal beneath. If left untreated, it leads to rust and further damage to the gutters.
If you’ve noticed one or more of these signs, it’s important to have your gutters inspected by a professional. Otherwise, you may end up with serious problems like leaks or water damage to your home.
How Do You Fix Gutter Damage?
When there is a problem, it’s usually because of leaves, twigs, and other debris that have built up over time, causing a blockage. However, gutters can also be damaged by hail.
If you live in an area where hailstorms are common, it’s important to inspect your gutters regularly and get the necessary repairs done ASAP.
Here’s what is required:
- Remove pieces of hail from the gutters. Be careful not to damage the gutter material as you do this.
- If there are cracks or holes in the gutters, use a sealant or putty to fill them in. This will help prevent water leaks.
- Once the cracks and holes are sealed, use a piece of duct tape or similar material to cover the entire repaired area. This will help ensure that the repairs last for as long as possible.
- Inspect the gutters regularly to keep them in good condition.
Please note that any type of roofing job can be dangerous, and therefore for the best results and for your own safety, it is best to always leave such jobs to experienced professionals!
1. Keep an Eye on the Forecast
If a hailstorm is forecasted, you should prepare your gutters to prevent damage. You can also cover your gutters if necessary.
2. Impact-Resistant Gutter Guards
Consider installing impact-resistant gutter guards. These guards are designed to deflect hail and other debris, protecting your gutters from damage. Good quality guards can significantly reduce damage to your gutters.
3. Regular Maintenance
Another way to prevent damage is to maintain your gutters regularly. This includes cleaning them out periodically and inspecting them for signs of wear and tear.
4. Look for Damage After a Storm
After a hailstorm:
- Take a close look at your gutters.
- Don’t wait for leaks and mold to grow before taking action.
- If you see any damage, repair it right away.
This helps prevent further damage from occurring.
5. Call a Professional
If the damage to your gutters is extensive, it’s best to call a professional for help. They can properly assess the damage & make the necessary repairs.
Taking these preventive measures can help reduce the amount of damage your gutters experience.
The Cost of Repairing Gutter Hail Damage
Not repairing gutter hail damage on time can become very costly. Water may seep into your home through the damaged gutters and cause mold growth. The drains may also eventually collapse, leading to even more damage. Taking action on time is crucial to minimize the damage and cost of repairs.
The cost of repairing gutter hail damage depends on the severity of the damage. If it’s minor, you may be able to fix it yourself. However, if the damage is extensive, it’s best to call a professional for help.
In general, those little balls of ice can wreak havoc on your home’s gutters, costing you anywhere from $100 to $500 to repair the damage.
The good news is that gutter damage due to hail is typically covered by homeowners insurance. So, if you have a policy, give your insurer a call after the storm to start the claims process.
After a hailstorm, it’s important to inspect your gutters for damage. In case of minor damage, try DIY fixes. However, if you’re not experienced, it is always best to leave such jobs to the experts.
In general, hail can wreak havoc on your home’s gutters, costing you anywhere from $150 to $500 to repair the damage. But if you have a policy, give your insurer a call after the storm to start the claims process.
iRoofers of America is a trusted roofing company in North Texas. We specialize in roofing installation, including gutter repair and maintenance, and we have ten years of industry experience. Our team of experts in Fort Worth, TX, will work closely with you to ensure your project is done right, on time, and within budget.